If you’re between 8 and 11, you probably know a lot about using the internet.
Even though you've been using the internet for a while you still make sure you keep yourself safe.
Safety Tips For KS2
Do you think you know how you can stay safe when you are using the internet? Staying in control is about knowing that some people use the internet to be nasty to others.In this section, we have lots of information for you about the internet and mobile phones, so you can make the right choices and be safe.
- When you’re chatting to people online, TRY NOT TO GIVE OUT ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION about yourself. This includes your full name, address or school. It’s ok to tell someone what city you live in though as long as you don’t include anything else. Even giving a street name can be enough to allow someone to find you. If anyone ever asks you for this information, tell a trusted adult straight away.
- Some people who you meet online may not be who they say they are. It’s easy for people to lie when they’re chatting over the internet, so DON’T ARRANGE TO MEET UP WITH SOMEONE who you have met online. If anyone asks to meet up with you, tell a trusted adult. It is not a good idea, but if you do decide to meet up then make sure you take a trusted adult with you and meet in a public place.
- Some people you meet online may not be who they say they are, so it’s a good idea to make sure the people on your contact list are people you really know in the real world.
- If someone adds you to their contact list and you don’t know them, make sure you BLOCK THEM. This will stop them from seeing when you are logged on, and they won’t be able to contact you. If you add someone and decide afterwards you don’t want them on your list you can delete them too.
- If you have your own profile on IM, IT’S NOT A GOOD IDEA TO INCLUDE LOTS OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF, like your hobbies, favourite band, your address and school.
- It’s also NOT A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF on your profile - you can use one of the pictures that are on IM already, or a picture of a pet or your favourite pop group. This is because if you have someone on your contact list who you don’t know in the real world, they will be able to have access to your profile and see what you look like.
Sometimes you get emails from people you don’t know.
- It’s important to remember that if you receive an email from someone you don’t know, NEVER OPEN IT. Tell an adult you trust if you’re not sure what to do.
- Some people also send fake emails to trick you into replying. They get email addresses by using special software or from other websites on the internet. If you reply to one of these emails, the people sending them will know that your email address is real, and they could start sending you junk or nasty emails.
- Make sure you ALWAYS DELETE EMAILS FROM PEOPLE YOU DON’T KNOW.
- NEVER GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION, like your full name, address or school to people you talk to using email, if you don’t know them in the real world. If anyone you talk to online asks for this information, tell a trusted adult.
- Some people use emails to send pictures of themselves to friends and family, but IT’S NOT A GOOD IDEA TO SEND A PICTURE TO SOMEONE YOU HAVE MET ONLINE who you don’t know in the real world. They may not be who they say they are, and you don’t want a stranger to have a picture of you or your friends/ family.
Social networking sites are all online, so any information you add about yourself can potentially be seen by anyone in the world. Social networking sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat do have minimum ages to be able to sign up (13 years of age). Children between 13 years and 18 years of age need parental permission to sign up.
- NEVER PUT YOUR FULL ADDRESS ON YOUR SITE. It’s best to leave the space blank, or if you do want to add some information, make sure that you make your profile private so only your friends can see it.
- It’s a good idea to USE A NICKNAME rather than your real name - your friends will know your nickname so will know it’s you!
- It’s also NOT A GOOD IDEA TO PUT YOUR MOBILE NUMBER on your site - your real friends will already have it!
- USE YOUR PRIVACY SETTINGS! Adjust your account settings (sometimes called “Privacy Settings”) so only approved friends can instant message you. This won’t ruin your social life – new people can still send you friend requests and message you, they just won’t be able to pester you via IM. This means that people you don’t want to see your profile can’t!